The Ben Carson scholarship awards a $ 1,000 college scholarship to students in grades 4-11 who excel academically and dedicate themselves to serving their communities. Scholarship winners are honored with the title of “Carson Scholars” and are awarded an Olympic-sized medal and a trophy for their school to celebrate their achievements. Previous Carson Scholarship winners are eligible to reapply for Carson Scholar recognition annually – please visit the Current Researcher page for more information.
Students must attend an accredited K-12 school in the United States. An interested student must be nominated by a teacher at his or her school in order to be able to compete for the Carson Scholarship. Only one student from each school can apply, ensuring that each candidate embodies academic excellence. Carson Scholars must have a GPA of at least 3.75 and demonstrate human qualities through community service. Scholarships are awarded only on the basis of academic achievement and human qualities, regardless of financial need, race, creed or religion.
About Ben Carson scholarship
Dr. Ben and Mrs. Carson started the Carson Scholars Fund in 1994 to address the education crisis in the United States. The first Carson Scholarships was awarded in 1996. There were 25 researchers in that inaugural year from Maryland, Delaware and the District of Columbia.
The Ben Carson Reading Project began in 2000. The first reading room was established at Hall Cross Roads Elementary School in Aberdeen, Maryland. The scholarship funding agreement restricts awards to the four colleges mentioned above. If you are a dual major that includes one of the four colleges, you are eligible even if your other major is from a different college.
Ben Carson scholarship Eligibility Criteria
An interested student must be nominated by a teacher at his or her school in order to be able to compete for the Carson Scholarship. Only one student from each school can apply, ensuring that each candidate embodies academic excellence. Carson Scholars must have a GPA of at least 3.75 and demonstrate human qualities through community service. Scholarships are awarded only on the basis of academic achievement and human qualities, regardless of financial need, race, creed or religion.
Ben Carson scholarship selection process
Each year, Compass will conduct its selection process in the fall with a deadline in early December. A student’s request to Compass is a commitment to his / her consent to compete in the national application process to the CSF which includes another application, essay, community service details, a report card, and a teacher recommendation. The compass candidate national nomination application is scheduled to be submitted in early January every year. Being a school-wide candidate is not a guarantee of a scholarship, but instead one student applies to be considered in the national cohort where 500 awards will be awarded.
Compass candidate must be enrolled in a compass semester during the fall semester prior to the December / January selection process. Compass Candidate should be in Grade 4 through 11. Grades are defined as the grade level a student would be if he enrolled in a traditional public school by date of birth without skipping grade, repeating grades, or delaying enrollment. A compass filter must be legally housed according to the standards of their country or jurisdiction.
Ben Carson scholarship application rules and policies
- Only students in grades 4-11 are eligible. Students must be nominated by their school. All K-12 accredited schools in the United States are able to nominate a student.
- If you were previously awarded a Carson scholarship, you cannot apply for another scholarship. Alternatively, you can apply to our Scientist Recognition Program. If you are a former researcher, send email to email@example.com to get familiar with the recognition application.
- Submitting an application is not a guarantee of the award.
- All applications must be submitted by 8:00 PM. Eastern Time Friday, January 15, 2021. To submit your online application, all sections must be completed. The complete application includes the submission of a teacher report and recommendation card.
- Note: Due to COVID-19, we will accept letters of recommendation until 8:00 PM ET on January 22, 2021. However, you must request a recommendation before submitting the application.
- After submitting your application, your manager must complete the verification process to review your application. The School Principal will receive an email containing instructions for completing this step after submitting your application. The earlier the application is submitted, the faster the principal can verify it. We request a manager review and verification of your request by 8:00 PM. Eastern Time, Friday, January 22, 2021.
- Employees of the Carson Scholars Fund, Board of Directors, and immediate family members are not eligible to apply.
- Scholarship awards are held in trust until recipients have attended a four-year (Bachelor’s degree pathway program), accredited college / university in the United States. Recipients must be registered full-time and have a valid Social Security number to receive their scholarship payments.
How to apply for the Ben Carson Scholarship
To apply, applicants must complete the application form. Only school officials (teachers, counselors, administrators) can apply. If your school previously received application materials, you do not need to request an application – you are already on our distribution list.
The application form and the online application form will be available in mid-October. Schools have until December 21 to designate a student. All applications must be submitted by the student by the 6th of January with the corresponding documents.